Saturday, August 18, 2007

Need More Acetone

The most amazing solvent is, hold your breath, not water, but acetone. Considering that all of us are organic compositions, as are our wastes; water barely seems to satisfy the prerequisites for being called the Universal Solvent.

I work with acetone 6 hours per week. I inhale it in copious amounts, I wash my hands with it, I clean my laboratory glassware with it and not even once has it disappointed me. It always does what's it supposed to do. I tell you, any organic stain just disappears. Like it was never there. Sometimes even manganese dioxide adsorbed on some organic compound gets dissolved. All those who have worked in an organic lab, and are not quite competent when it comes to treating spills, know how difficult manganese dioxide stains are to remove.

What irritates me is that acetone doesn't work outside laboratory. If I want to wipe out my organic past, it just wouldn't happen. Not even with acetone. How I wish that every word I ever uttered begone. Every emotion I have ever had, every tear I shed, every laugh that my lips let go and every sound, comprehensible or incomprehensible, I ever made; accumulate around me like nauseating, asphyxiating cloud of organic smog. If only acetone worked on these, I would take acetone showers twice a day. Dissolving every little detail of my being, my regrets and my sins. I would be so free.

Acetone would wash over me, turning me paler and paler with every wash. Till all that remains of me are bare bones. Inorganic matter in my body would disintegrate due to lack of organic substrate to cling to. Bones would slowly decompose to calcium carbonate. I can feel even now, cool and scented acetone flowing on my skin, taking with itself all the words. They run on my body leaving thought scars, but I shall not worry, acetone will take care of it.

Chemically it is not possible; it just is not :| But I want to use gallons and gallons of acetone, it should work. Please let it work. A plastic bottle containing 250 ml is not enough.

Maybe I would design a T Shirt that says "Need More Acetone".

Disclaimer: I know this post is a mockery of Chemistry. No need to tell me that. Desperation is a smelly perfume and this post reeks.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sameer said...

doodh nahi peeyega to aisa hi hoga.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Sameer said...

sometimes in situations like these,
another (lesser known(as a solvent)) solvent works to a certain degree.
its called Ethyl Alcohol.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Done With Blogging said...

he he he - i wholly agree with you my friend.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Prashant Gautam said...

@soham
agree with what? That this post sucks or that we need more acetone?

6:53 AM  
Blogger Divita said...

ethy; alcohol is temporary cure, like those irksome birthday candles that light up merrily even after you blow on them, your past would be still there. why dont you try taking a shower with some strong acid or just sip on some cynide...once and for all...wont have to say 'i need more' :D

12:21 PM  
Blogger Anupam said...

जिस्म सौ बार जले तो भी वही माटी का ढेला,
रूह इक बार जले तो वो कुन्दन होगी

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home