Saturday, November 08, 2008

North and East

I don't understand why exactly people follow the Standard Geographic Coordinate System. I mean it definitely caters to the huge English ego, keeping the 0˚0', not at London because it would have been quite obvious and pompous, but at Greenwich. Just because they set up an observatory there and suffixed it's name with Royal, doesn't give them the right to set the Y axis of the system passing through it. And don't even get me started on the location of the equator. Fucking imperialistic colonizing bastards exploited Africa for years and as makeup made the equator pass right through the middle of it telling them, "See its dandy, you are right in the middle of all of it". Its like raping a girl and then taking her to hospital two months later to check if she is pregnant, saying, "No no no, I fucked you, so I should pay for the ultrasound".

As a science student, I understand it all makes sense; earth is flat at the poles and is therefore not spherically symmetrical and thus not every point can be taken to be the origin. But it is again the idea of conforming to the stable accepted laws that irks me. I will try to explain how. Stay with me.

The idea of places being referred to with their geographical coordinates is something that I find belittling to that place. I mean you sit in the airplane and the pilot tells you over the intercom that you are currently flying over Paris and the coordinates are 48°52′0″N 2°19′59″E. I would rather have him say "Ladies and Gentlemen we are flying over Paris, the romantic capital of the world. The place where the age of Renaissance effectively began and proud home of one of the marvels of the world, the Eiffel Tower". Screw the coordinates you scientific bitches! Referring to a place with a mere number interspersed with degrees and minutes and seconds is mighty mechanical. If I ever went to Paris I would like to remember it as the place of croissants, champagne, lovely weather, patisseries, artistic intelligent people and the good weed and times I would have with them and of course, if I am fortunate enough, for the time spent with my beloved and definitely not as 48°52′0″N 2°19′59″E.

With that we are at a point where the whole purpose of this post would become a little more crystal. Places are not kept in your memory as names as numbers but as the experiences you had there. I mean I could be dot in the middle of the Gaza strip but if I'm having a good time, it would be nothing less than the best Israeli beach. By that rationale, for a person, two places could be horribly similar even though geographically they might be poles apart. This line of thought actually kills tourism. One won't feel the need to travel to exotic places to have a good time if eventually he/she is going to have the sad realization that effectively whatever fun he/she had could have been had at home. The only reason that would push people to travel would then be the desire to see geographic varieties in the terrain and climate along with a desire to learn and experience a new culture.

So for a nihilist like me, the idea of going to a place to have fun is non appealing. Give me my friends, some legal/illegal intoxicants, loads of good music from my collection, dal chawal butter mix, coffee, cigarettes and with the recent (s)exploits of a couple (and for that matter so many other couples) right next to where all of us spend most of our time, I think my 15°29'51"N 73°49'27"E is right here. Go splash in the shower cubicle if you need water so badly.

6 Comments:

Blogger Done With Blogging said...

I concur. You can have everywhere in the world. Even in a small village like siliguri. But, traveling is something much more than having fun. It changes you a lot. conventional tourism is crappy. But the concept of going to new places and learning their cultures is something I find highly appealing.

And yeah - I used my new word of the day - concur.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Johnny Tent said...

"You can have everywhere (everything?) in the world even in a small village like Siliguri"

Aaaahh ha ha haah! Opportunist, agreeing you are just for Bangalism phailaaoing.

@pg

The equator is the equator not because random angrezis decided it would be nice to have a line passing through Afrika for them niggerfolk, but because there's a nice definition that says it is the "intersection of the Earth's surface with the plane perpendicular to the Earth's axis of rotation and containing the Earth's center of mass". The Prime Meridian, however, is arbitrary and potently racist. (I even check, Wiki agreeing)

Yex I agree with your point. But I agree with Ganguly too - one's life should suck at many different places, for it to be significantly sucky.

And I used my new word of the day too - Bangalism.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Ero-Sennye said...

^^ Thats spot on.

And, well, if you're such a nihilist, then a number should mean as much to you as those sights and sounds you talk about.

And, conventional tourism, by which, if you mean, a guided tour etc., is definitely crappy, but man, how can you not agree that renting a car or maybe simply walking by foot, in a historically rich place like Berlin, with no directions and no real destination, isn't more fun than sitting in a room and smoking weed.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Prashant Gautam said...

@Kartiek

Nihilism can be an extreme form of skepticism too. It means denial of all real existence/possibility of an objective basis for truth (Courtesy: Dictionary.com). So, while "not traveling to have fun" is nihilistic in the sense that I am bullshitting the established norms, the disregard of numbers is nihilistic as it denies a pure objective basis of identifying a place (numbers make it more tangible hence real). :D

Of course it is fun to wander around in exciting unexplored places; but if someone asks me to take a trip to Paris with all my friends, in order to do something fun, I would be least interested. It is going to be the same everywhere, okay more or less the same, and I do not see it as worth something for which I should put in this much effort.

@John
Abey I understand the reasons for the equator being where it is. If I need to take a dump on the idea of the equator, I will have to see it in a way that is largely irrational. Fanaticism it is called.

@Soham
I know traveling is fun. I am just saying that give me all that I have and I can live without traveling.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Joychaser said...

you can travel ALONE, you know. having a bunch of friends with you is obviously going to make every other place seem the same.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Hafis said...

i will get you some legal/illegal intoxicant if that will make you write.MORE!!!

nice blog hilarious i really enjoyed the stay thank you

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home